Business Events

....all animals can potentially transmit diseases and parasites
especially wildlife
Find an Animal Control Expert Now

Note that the CSS for this menu style requires each menu item be wrapped in an additional tag.

Horizontal CSS Menus Vertical CSS Menus Image CSS Form CSS DIVs and containers Links and Buttons Other
CSS Drive JavaScript Kit Coding Forums JavaScript Reference

faq - questions about animal control

Captured badger (Photo © Desert Wildlife Services)
Angry badger being extracted from burrow
Tucson, Arizona

What does NWCO mean?
People who handle wildlife damage problems can be designated by a number of terms.

In most of the United States, it is against the law for you to own any wild animals or non-human primates (monkeys) without a permit. However, people sometimes come into contact with these animals. Like other animals, wild animals and primates can get diseases. Some of these diseases, called zoonoses, can cause illness in people. Since wild animals (including monkeys, raccoons, and skunks) can carry diseases that are dangerous to people, the CDC discourages direct contact with wildlife. For further information on Wildlife Diseases.

Do You Need 24 HOUR Emergency Service?
Emergency Service is generally limited to wildlife in the "LIVING SPACE" of your home, however what we consider an emergency and what you would can differ. This does not include attic space, under a deck or a shed. A good example would be a bat flying around your living room or a raccoon in your bathtub. Our fees for emergency service are a premium as these need to be attended to immediately. We offer this service around the clock because you may have an animal in your home at 2 AM.

Is this a FREE service?
No, they are private wildlife control business'. We are not funded by public tax money. Service fees vary greatly depending on the task at hand. Please call us and we will do our best to offer a figure over the phone. If the situation requires us to visit the site before offering a quote, we will tell you this during the initial call.

Do you charge a fee for an estimate or inspection ?
We do not charge a fee for the estimate, however, we do charge a fee for an inspection. An inpection entails examining the building and determining the best long term solution. Questions that will be answered include: which animal is causing the problem?, how are they getting in?, what is the condition of the attic? A price for repairs/ preventative treatments is given based upon inspection findings. In some cases will be able to give an estimate over the phone such as trapping and removal of groundhogs, skunks etc. on the exterior of the building.

Is this an animal rescue group? Do you take in sick, abandoned or injured wildlife and animals?
No. We can sometimes transport injured, sick, abandoned or displaced wildlife and animals in need of help to the proper facility, but we do charge a fee.

More questions on young wildlife ? Check out our Care of Young Wildlife Page.

We had another company tell us we only have mice but the noise seems louder than mice. The company put poison, but they won't eat it and the noise is still there. What else could it be?
Frequently it is mice, but it may not be. A thorough inspection to determine what wildlife is involved is the best way to start. We check from top to bottom to determine the root of your problem.

It is possible that you may have Flying Squirrels in your home. The sign of these small animals can fool the untrained eye into thinking that mice may be the problem. Poisoning (rodenticide) is only labeled for use on mice and rats in New Jersey. It is strictly prohibited for use on any other wildlife. Poisoning is not a good solution. You will create a potential health hazard for yourself and your family if a squirrel dies inside the house. If it dies outside of your house, it could pose a health hazard to pets or other animals (secondary poisoning).

When a wild animal (raccoon etc.) is out during the day, is it rabid?
No, as long as the animal is acting normal, it is not considered rabid. All wildlife must be considered rabid if a person gets bitten. If possible, the animal should be captured, destroyed and then tested to determine if it had rabies when it bit the person. If the animal cannot be captured, destroyed and tested, the person bitten has to undergo rabies preventative vaccinations. Many baby animals have had to be destroyed because well meaning people have tried to help them and either have gotten bitten or potentially exposed to the animal's saliva, (i.e., fed the animal from their hand, handled the animal without gloves and didn't wash their hands and then touched their eyes or had open cuts on their hands). If you want to protect baby wildlife, leave them alone, their mother is probably close by and watching them.

How often do the traps have to be checked ?
The traps must be checked daily including weekends and holidays. We will be available to remove the trapped animals at any time traps are actively set at a clients home or business. We generally have our clients check the traps and report captured animals to us. If a client cannot check the traps daily we do charge a site visit fee unless an animal is captured or other arrangements have been made.

What types of traps do you use ?
There are basically two categories of traps. Live Capture and Lethal Capture. There are many types of traps within the categories listed and too many variables to give an exact answer. All methods deployed that are used to give the most humane and effective removal possible.

  1. Live Capture
    1. leghold or foothold
    2. snares
    3. cage
  2. Lethal Capture
    1. mouse and rat traps
    2. Conibear

Do you spray something to drive the animal out ?
No, be cautious of anyone who says they are going to spray something to drive the animal out. Some states do not allow chemicals to be used on wildlife. There is also concerns about the effectiveness and/or safety of this technique. (See next question, also it is a requirement to have a pesticide license).

Will moth balls or ammonia soaked rags keep animals out of my house ?
The short answer is No.
Mothballs, contain paradichlorobenzene and/or naphthalene (known carcinogen) must be properly registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and contain on the label their ingredients, their human, environmental, physical and chemical hazards, and information on their use, storage and disposal. The same goes for ammonia.

Find a Animal Control & Removal Expert